One of this less glamorous jobs we did was a bit of gardening to clear all the weeds and plant life that had grown around the locomotive. We had some wooden covers kindly made for us by John Masters before the working weekend for the boiler manholes and cylinder covers. Nick was then able to drill all the holes for the studs by hand with a bit and brace as we did not have a big enough bit to fit in the electric drill on site. These covers should keep the weather out of these key components.
Our next working weekend on the locomotive will be on the 16th and 17th July. Our objectives will be to make a start removing the heavy corrosion from the underside of the boiler and the front tube plate in preparation to remove the boiler tubes. All our members are invited to attend and get involved with the work or simply just come down to the site to meet the team.
Over the next couple of weeks we hope to have some exciting news about the project coming out and in order to keep members up to date we plan to create an email list. If you don't miss to be part of the list please get in touch and we will remove you from the list.
As always thank you for your support